Profile of Institute
The Institute of Science, Mumbai, formerly known as the Royal Institute of Science or R.I.S., was established in 1920. It is managed by the Government of Maharashtra and is affiliated to university of Mumbai. In the early years, the Institute had B.Sc. courses, although the main thrust is always on post-graduate studies and research.
The Institute during its early years was fortunate to have association of eminent scientists of the country either in the capacity of members of Advisory Committee or the Board of Honorary Visitors. Dr. Sir C. V. Raman (NL) was associated with the institute in the capacity of Honorary Scientist from 1933 to 1938. Other eminent Indian scientists like Dr. Birbal Sahani, Dr. Meghnad Saha, Dr. Sir S. S. Bhatnagar, Dr. George Mathai, Dr. S. P. Agharkar, and Dr. Homi J. Bhabha have worked as Honorary Visitors at different periods and have given the benefit if their advice to the Institute.
In her prime years, the Institute was also fortunate to have several Britishers like Dr. J. J. Fox, who was the first Principal, Dr. A. Meldrum and Dr. T. S. Wheeler, who were all renown chemists, besides host of reputed Indian scientists like Prof. G. R. Paranjpee, Prof. D. D. Kanga, Prof. P. R. Awati, Prof. S. L. Ajrekar, Prof. K. R. Gunjikar, Dr. Bharucha, Dr. (Mrs) Kamala Sohonie and Prof. B. C. Haldar, who set very high academic standards for the Institute.
After taking education and training at the institute, a commanding array of outstanding students have made their name in various walks of life. The list of Alumni includes eminent people like Dr. Homi J. Bhabha (Father of the Indian Atomic Energy Programme),Wrangler V. V. Narlikar (Renowned Mathematician and Educationist), Dr.Shriram Abhyankar (Renowned Mathematician), Dr. B. M. Udgaonkar (Eminent Physicist and Educationist), Prof. M. G. K. Menon (Ex-Secretary, Department of Science and Technology, Government of India), Prof. Madhu Dandavate (National leader, former Central Cabinet Minister and Deputy Chairman, Planning Commission),Mr. K. V. R. Iyengar (Ex-Governer, Reserve Bank of India)
Over the years, the Institute has come to occupy a place of repute in academic and scientific world. As an academic institution, the Institute has not only succeeded in setting and maintaining high standards of research and teaching, but has also provided an atmosphere congenial for persuit of science. The students and the faculty members of the Institute have distinguished themselves in various walks of life. The Institute has produced a commanding array of outstanding students who, after taking education and training at the Institute, have made their name in various walks of life.
The Institute has also been instrumental in the establishment of several institutions have now grown into reputed institutions in their own right. University Department of Chemical Technology, now known as ICT, was housed in the east wing of the Institute from 1935 to 1943. Even National Institute of Oceanography (NIO), Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) the Central Institute for Fisheries Education made their beginning on Institute premises.
The institute today is a full fledged premier post-graduate centre for teaching and research in science. It conducts M.Sc. (By Papers), M.Sc. (By Research) and Ph.D. programmes in several disciplines namely, Biochemistry, Botany, Chemistry, Mathematics, Microbiology, Physics and Zoology. Recently, the Institute has also started multidisciplinary M.Sc. Course in Environmental Science and Biotechnology for the first time in the University. With an intake capacity of about 370 students for M.Sc.(By Papers), nearly 200 for M.Sc.(By Research) and Ph.D., the Institute contributes a lion's share in teaching and research in these subjects.